Thursday 7 July 2016

Remembering past Hunts.

I was just thinking about my up coming Sambar hunt in Victoria and I realized, that it was just over 22 years ago that I last hunted Sambar in Victorias High Country.
How can I remember it so well?
It was the same week that Australia recorded it's coldest ever temperature of -23c at Charlotte's Pass.
Oh yeah I remember that night alright, I was camped in a 3 sided hut up at Lake Cobbler shivering inside 2 sleeping bags and a wool pack swag. I did manage to get a nice Hind on that trip too.
Thankfully I am far better equipped these days so this trip should be allot more enjoyable.

I went searching for some photos of that trip but unfortunately was unable to find any, though I did come across one of my first Sambar Deer and My first Pig.
The Deer was taken on a trip to the Buffalo Valley, Myrtleford Victoria with a good friend Harry Nest back in 1993 with Harry's Brno .30-06.



                               My First Deer an Sambar Hind taken with a .30-06

The Pig was taken even earlier back in 1989 at Tuppal Creek in Southern New South Wales, It was the first animal I shot with my .243 CMC Mountaineer ( Now Howa ), I still have that rifle although it now has a new barrel and scope.

                               My first Pig at Tuppal Creek NSW circa 1989.

When I think of how simply we used to camp and how basic the gear we used to have back then was it amazes me that we even enjoyed ourselves. But we did enjoy it and somehow despite the cold I have fond memories of those times when life was not quite so complicated.


No comments:

Post a Comment