Thursday 25 May 2023

Snake Island Hog Deer

 In mid 2022 I did as I do every year and entered the Blonde Bay Hog Deer Ballot,  but when the places were drawn I was pleasantly surprised to find out I had secured a place on Snake Island during Period 3. I quickly checked my work roster and was even happier to find I was to be on my break during the hunt. Having never hunted Hog Deer before I had a lot to think about, not the least of which was how to get to the Island itself.

Over the next few weeks the successful applicants were informed of the contact details of fellow hunters allocated the same period. From this I was able to make contact with most of the hunters on the list and secure a boat ride to Snake Island with Leon, one of the other hunters. Another hunter Paul was generous enough to offer all 6 of us a place to meet up and stay before and after the hunt, located very close to the town of Woodside this was extremely convenient. Paul also surprised us all by arranging a cool room to use should we be successful. Paul also provided a place to check the sighting of our rifles prior to the hunt.

I had a lot to organize and not much time to get things together considering I would have 4 days to get myself from East Timor (where I work) to my house in Victoria, pick up my gear and head over the mountains and down the coast to Port Welshpool for the mandatory briefing the day before the hunt started. Somehow I managed to do it and not leave anything behind, this was a minor miracle. The early morning Drive over the mountains was spectacular and I arrived in Sale just after lunch time, I had a quick lunch and did some last minute shopping for food and water the drove on to Paul's place arriving mid afternoon. Over the next few hours the other hunters arrived and we checked our rifles and got to know each other a little, it didn't take long before we were cooking venison sausages and telling stories of past hunts. 

The next morning we all made our way to the briefing in Port Welshpool where we received our Tags and information packs from the GMA. We were then allowed to make our way to Snake Island however no hunting was to take place until the following morning. I had chosen to hunt the North Western portion of the Island and Leon dropped me at the Swashaway Jetty and wished me luck.

Swashaway Jetty with the mainland in the background.

As Leon headed off to the other end of the Island I hiked through the no hunting zone and headed towards my chosen camp site, fortunately I chose well and the site was sheltered by a grove of trees. I set up my tent and fly and set about sorting my gear out ready to hunt the following morning, once done with that I went for an afternoon walk to confirm that what I had seen on satellite imagery was in fact what was on the ground. I then revised my hunt plan and decided to spend some time waiting over some water I had located.

My campsite under the trees.

 I hadn't been on the Island before and had done all my scouting online with the aid of Google earth and a couple of other satellite imagery websites. I had chosen my hunting area based on historical weather data for the same time of year, and decided to ground hunt without the aid of a Highseat or Rickshaw and had based my strategy purely on the forecast weather conditions. Something I had kept an eye on over the proceeding week. The forecast weather for the week was for windy days from Monday with rain periods mostly in the evening and night with the worst wind and rain Wednesday fining up over Thursday and Friday. The Island is mostly flat and covered in dense Tea Tree and Paperbark with open areas covered in dense Bracken fern, there are areas of Tussock and open grassy flats and these are where most hunters concentrate their efforts. 

Tussock flats on Snake Island.

Sunday night was very windy and I got little sleep thinking of how things would pan out the following morning. I had an early breakfast and made my way towards the water hole near Big Plain and set up well off the water overlooking where I thought Deer would approach from. No Deer were sighted that first day and I reconsidered my strategy that night as all the other hunter reported having sighted Deer and Danny managing to shoot a nice Stag that later measured at 10 inches.


The water hole near Big Plain on the Western End of the Island.

Tuesday morning dawned windy and rainy after some heavy falls overnight, I had located a small clearing in the Paperbark on the North of the Island and figured it would be sheltered enough that Deer may brave a quick feed during the day. My previous experience with Sambar and Fallow has been that after a period of cold wet weather they will get up and feed during the day, this I believe is to keep warm from heat generated by the fermentation of food in their gut. I figured Hog Deer would do the same but sooner and more often, as being smaller they would chill quicker. I sat over the clearing all day but sighted no Deer. There was however plenty of sign to validate my theory.

The small clearing.

With just on an hour of shooting light remaining for the day I decided I would try and stalk my way back to camp hugging the edge of the bush and see if I could catch a Deer out feeding. I very slowly made my way back towards camp  glassing ahead as I went, there were lots of Kangaroos out feeding on the tussock edges doing just what I hoped a Deer would do. I kept a keen eye on the Roo's and searched every Tussock with my Bino's , paying particular attention to where the Roo's were looking. As I rounded a particularly thick patch of Tussock with thick Bracken behind it I spotted what at first glance looked like a Red Kangaroo hunched over feeding. A quick look over with the Bino's showed it to be a Hog Deer Stag, and a good sized one at that. I stood bolt still watching him as he raised his head revealing a great set of antlers. He had a quick look around and put his head back down to feed, completely unaware of me. 

I slowly put my rifle to my shoulder and quietly closed the bolt and slipped the safety off, the Stag was quartering away from me presenting a perfect shot behind the shoulder and I saw him drop on the spot to the shot. 



The Stag where he fell.

The Stag with my Rifle, a Mod 70 WIN Super Grade in .300H&H.

A rub tree a few meters from where I shot my Stag, Banksia's seemed to be their tree of choice.

I quickly walked over to my Stag and could not believe my luck, such a great animal to get him in the last half hour of the afternoon, I was ecstatic. I quickly to a whole bunch of photos and then updated the other guys via text. I then proceeded to Tag and field dress the Stag and hung him in a tree in the wind to cool before placing a big meat bag over him. Harvested Deer must be presented whole to the checking station on the mainland as soon as possible so contacted a local charter operator to arrange a pick up on the next high tide, I then contacted the GMA rep and informed him I would be leaving the Island to attend the checking station the following morning. I made my way back to camp and had some dinner before packing the bulk of my gear. One of the other hunters Tallis then sent out a message saying he had also been lucky enough to take a Hind with his Bow.

I got up early and had breakfast then packed the remainder of my gear and hiked out to my pick up point. I then returned to the stag and carried him out to the pickup point and waited for my boat ride back to Port Welshpool. I saw plenty of fresh sign on the walk out and even saw a small Hind feeding along the bush edge. I had a short wait for my ride and took a few photos of various things while I waited to keep me occupied. When my ride arrived I was surprised to see an old work colleague driving the boat, it turned out he owned the charter business and we had a quick catch up on the trip back ashore. 

Hiking out to my pick up point.

 Once back on the mainland I made my way to the checking station where my Stag was measured and tissue samples taken, his lower jaw was removed for ageing and research and I was issued with a receipt with all the details of my Deer. I then drove back to Pauls place where the cool room was and set about caping out my Stag. I turned the ears and split the lips and gave it a liberal coating of fine salt. The carcass and Cape were then placed in the cool room and I cleaned up and had some lunch. I contacted my Taxidermist and he informed me he could take my deer the following morning so I had a relaxing afternoon and a few beers before turning in for the night. Danny came by the next morning to see my Stag before I left and we got news that Trent had also managed to shoot a nice Stag. 

I left Paul's place and drove to my Taxidermists and dropped the cape and head off with him to mount. I then spent the afternoon out with him looking at some great Hog Deer country near his place with plans to hunt the area the following year, he and I have been friends for over 30 years. I stayed the night and then made the journey back East over the mountains the following morning, arriving back at my place early afternoon. I spent the rest of the day cleaning up and washing my gear and reflecting on what a great trip my first Hog Deer hunt had been. I cant wait for the chance to hunt Hog Deer again.

Some Information on my hunt and my gear.

Hog Deer can be hunted on public land in Victoria during a 1 month season in April and Tags are issued by the GMA. They can also be hunted in a Balloted hunting arrangement in select areas outside the April season, I was very fortunate to secure a Balloted hunting opportunity. My rifle of choice was a Mod 70 WIN Super Grade in .300H&H with 220grn projectiles, a bit heavy for Hog Deer I know but it worked perfectly the projectiles caused very little meat damage being constructed for heavier animals, I will note my shot did not hit bone other than ribs. I chose to ground hunt as I did not have the time available to get a high seat or rickshaw organized. 

I would like to thank all the other hunters on the Island during Period 3, I enjoyed meeting all of you, Leon thanks for the boat Ride,  and Paul for the place to stay and the use of the cool room I very much appreciate it. I will leave with a few random pictures of Deer sign and other interesting things for you to peruse

I cant wait to get my Mounted Stag back home.


Deer pellets in the Paperbark,

A brightly coloured visitor.

The hunting area boundary's were clearly marked.

Hog Deer Tracks in the damp sand.


2 comments:

  1. Old mate,Mitta.26 May 2023 at 16:19

    A very very lucky hunter to have taken a Hoggy Stag of that quality. 10/10

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great read mate. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete