Tuesday 17 May 2022

My Quest for a Sambar Stag takes an unexpected turn.

After a week of hunting with Jeremy and Tom I set about some hunting for myself, my goal being to get myself a Sambar Stag. Well the week didn't go as I had planned it and after quite a few days of stalking, sit and wait hunting and glassing I had pretty much given up and come to the conclusion It would not happen this trip and indeed I was correct. I passed up quite a few opportunities to secure Hind's and lesser Spikers in the hope of securing a representative Sambar Stag, It just did not happen for me, but that's the way it goes in the Sambar caper. I have been hunting them since July 1991 so what's another couple of weeks right? 
In the interim here's a collection of picture from my last trip to Sambarland and a short story of an unexpected turn of welcome events.

Set up and waiting at one of my favorite sit and wait spots

My Rigby Big Game PH in .375H&H .

A Dead Head I found Whilst searching for a lost Deer.


I have been hunting for a representative Sambar trophy for some years now and 2 years ago for my 50th birthday I bought myself a Rigby Big Game PH in .375 H&H, I decided a Deer worthy of my wall deserved to be hunted with a Rifle of  equal class and I had always wanted one so why not, its' a once in a lifetime purchase. I was also adamant that the rifle not become a safe queen and I would actively hunt with it on as many occasions as possible. I made that decision fully aware that the rifle will get knocked about and scratched up, but it's a Rigby and made to hunt not sit in a safe. Every scratch in the stock tells a tale and I know the collector will cringe but the hunter will not. 

I had pretty much given up on securing a Trophy Sambar stag this trip out as time had gotten away from me and my return to work was drawing near. I organized as I always do to take two lovely older Gentlemen out for an afternoon. One is an ageing Malaya and Vietnam Veteran, the other an ageing Mountain Horseman and Cattlemen, both OAM recipients and very good mates.  Ray and Keith love to spend time together and both love to visit the old stone hut on Keith's property and tell stories of old times. So this cold and rainy afternoon I picked them both up and we headed off to drive the boundary of Keith's property before stopping at the stone hut for a hot cup of tea.

I decided I would pack my rifle just in case but not really expecting to see anything worth looking at. We were 3/4s of the way around the boundary when I spotted a group of Fallow Deer on the edge of the bush. Not thinking much of it I pointed them out to Ray and Keith and they both looked on as they walked back into the bush. I made comment that they weren't in any particular hurry and had probably bedded just inside the bush. Well Keith piped up and said why don't you take that big old gun of yours and see if you can shoot one. So without thinking I had much hope and not exactly dressed in my hunting clothes I got the rifle out of its's case unlocked the ammunition box and grabbed a couple of bullets and quietly made my way across the paddock to about 50 meters from where the deer entered the bush.

I sneaked in about 30 meters then turned parallel to the bush edge, about 30 meters later I saw the distinctive shape of a deer's head pop up and look in my direction. I stood bolt still and the deer turned to look away. I slowly closed the bolt and raised the rifle, settling the crosshairs on the deer's neck just below the jawline. I slowly squeezed the trigger and saw the deer fall before I lost my sight picture in the recoil. I walked the 40 odd meters to where the deer had fallen and made sure it was indeed dead which it was. I then walked the 200 or so meters back to the vehicle and informed both Ray and Keith I had been successful and shot a Fallow Spiker.  

The Fallow Spiker.

I packed my rifle away and secured the remaining ammunition before driving as close to the animal as I could. Ray being a little more agile than Keith accompanied me to where the deer lay. Ray insisted I take a picture of him with the deer and the million dollar rifle as he calls it. 

Ray Waters, OAM  Malaya and Vietnam veteran and great old guy.

I then proceeded to use my Rigby folding knife that my ever loving Wife bought me as a 30th wedding anniversary gift to dress the Fallow Spiker. Ray and I then dragged the deer the short distance to the vehicle and we loaded it into the tray. We then cleaned ourselves up before returning to the Stone Hut for a hot cup of tea. I had brought along some cheese and cracker biscuits along with some cold cuts of Fallow backstrap I had cooked the night before. I made up a plate of snacks while Keith boiled the billy and made tea. Once that task was completed we sat down to a hot cup of black tea and I offered Keith a piece of Fallow without telling him what it was.

 He promptly declared it was as finer meat as he had ever eaten, I then told him it was Fallow Deer to which he exclaimed in his own particular way "Go On" thats Keith speak for you're joking. We finished the crackers, meat and cheese and drank our Tea and locked up the hut, it was getting dark the clouds closing in on the valley and rain was starting to fall as we drove away. I turned up the heater in the car and Keith and Ray continued talking about different things, I just listened enjoying the time with them. I dropped Keith home and said my goodbye's in the way you do when you aren't sure you will ever see someone again for Keith is of that age. Ray and I went home and Ray helped (watched) me hang the deer to ensure it was done just right. Ray then walked across the street to his home and left me alone for the evening. 

The Entry of 3 Firsts.

It was when I was alone enjoying a Whiskey after dinner that it struck me, today was an unexpected success, 3 firsts shared by 3 people, myself and 2 fine old Gentlemen. I had taken my first Game animal with my Rigby Rifle, I had used my Rigby knife for the first time on a Game animal and it was recorded in the first entry in my Rigby hunting Journal. The Fallow Spiker whilst not being a Trophy class animal by proportional standards is indeed a Trophy to me due to the company in which he was taken, to me it represents the afternoon shared with two of the finest men I have come to know. I plan to mount the head in the simple European style where it will take pride of place on my wall as a reminder of that afternoon. The unexpected turn of events in my quest for a Sambar Stag.




Backstrap and Tenderloins.


The Spiker Hanging.
  




Backstraps and Tenderloins.

 
Hind Legs.




Boned out hind Leg.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment