Friday 21 June 2019

Did someone say Elk in Colorado

Well I haven't been up to much hunting wise lately, I have been rather busy working on renovating a holiday house I purchased in a prime hunting location. So with work and renovating and cutting enough wood to last the winter I haven't really had much time either. I was planning on traveling to Africa to hunt with a friend but that fell through due to him moving to New Zealand 6 months earlier than planned, then my employer changed my shift roster, which in turn changed all the weeks I had planned to hunt for the rest of the year. It did however open up the month of September for me, so what should I do?

Well I contacted a mate in Colorado and made a few inquiries about dates for the 2019 Elk seasons, It turns out the 2019 archery season runs for the month of September, and even better the tags are unlimited Over The Counter for either sex Elk and Bears. I did a bit of research and discovered that Colorado will accept a New South Wales "R" license in place of completing their compulsory Hunter ED course. They also accept a Montana Hunter ED Certificate along with a few other States certificates. The details off which are on their website, Colorado Parks and Wildlife.  So to be sure I was eligible to hold a Colorado Hunting License I also completed the Montana online Hunter ED course.

There's quite a few rules and regulations involved in what you can hunt and where, I cant begin to explain how the system works as it's pretty complicated but they produce a decent brochure that explains it all, Colorado Big Game rules and Regulations. So once I had sorted out everything I needed to be eligible to purchase an either sex Elk Tag I got back in touch with my friend and scanned him a copy of my Hunter Ed card and Passport, this will enable him to purchase the tags on my behalf when they go on sale at the beginning of August.  We have also created an online account for me with Colorado Parks and Wildlife to enable me to apply for and purchase tags online in the future.

 I have all the directions I need, a hire car booked, and a GPS location of where to meet up with my friend on the afternoon before my hunt starts. He will have already have set up camp for the week and will have been out scouting the area for a few days so we will have a rough idea of where the Elk are in the area we will be hunting. I have booked my flights and accommodation to arrive for a couple of nights before the season starts just to be sure I am over any jet-lag before I start hunting. 

So now I am all set and just waiting for September to roll around so I can be on my way to the mountains of Colorado, and hopefully hear the sound of Bull Elk bugling echo around the mountains.
In the interim I will be back in Sambar land working on renovating my house and hopefully getting a few days hunting in as well. I will be changing out the cards and batteries in my cameras as well so with any luck there should be some nice pictures and video of a few deer.

So stay tuned for the next camera download.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment